The Union Cabinet has declared the “Guidelines for Uplinking and Downlinking of Television Channels in India, 2022.” New provisions have been added to the latest guidelines to encourage the broadcasting sector in India.
The consolidated guidelines will ease the issue of permissions to the companies/ LLPs registered in India for uplinking and downlinking of TV Channels, setting up of Teleports/ Teleport Hubs, use of Digital Satellite News Gathering (DSNG)/ Satellite News Gathering (SNG)/ Electronic News Gathering (ENG) systems, uplinking by Indian News agencies and temporary uplinking of a live event.
Key Highlights of Uplinking and Downlinking of Television Channels in India
The guidelines suggest that there is no requirement for seeking prior permission for the live telecast of events and only pre-registration of events would be necessary. Prior permission for a change of language or conversion from Standard Definition (SD) to High Definition (HD), or vice versa is also not required as per the new guidelines.
As per the guidelines, A channel can be uplinked by using facilities of more than one teleport/satellite, as against only one teleport/satellite. A teleport operator can uplink a foreign channel for being downlinked outside India enabling international broadcasters to use Indian Teleports.
Recently, the Indian government has also unveiled new policy reforms for satellite communication services to ease procedures and streamline clearances to e
xpedite the rollout of Satcom across the country
Some of the key points are
- Set up of Teleports/ Teleport Hubs in India
- Use of Digital Satellite News Gathering (DSNG)/ Satellite News Gathering (SNG)/ Electronic News Gathering (ENG) systems for live transmission of events
- TV Channel uplink in frequency bands other than C band need to mandatorily encrypt their signals
- No prior Permission is needed for Live Telecast of Events
- TV channels can use multiple satellites/teleports
- No license is required for high-definition uplink
- Indian Teleports may uplink International TV broadcast
- Mandatory to telecast content in National/Public Interest
How will these revised uplink/ downlink guidelines benefit the teleport sector?
- Ease of compliance for teleport operators and Broadcasters
- Opening up the International market for Teleport Players
- Simplified procedures
- The clarity in new technologies and solutions used by Broadcasters
Lamhas offers reliable TV Channel Uplink services
Lamhas is one of the leading teleport operators in India and offers the uplinking facility to broadcasters using the best and latest Broadcast Technology.
Our teleport facility is available at:
Currently, Lamhas is offering Uplink facilities on INTELSAT-20, GSAT-30, and GSAT-17 satellites. In addition to this, we also offer other broadcast solutions, including Broadcast System Integration, LiveU Units for Live streaming, Video distribution, etc.
Get in touch with us today to avail the best Teleport Uplink services.